Search This Blog

Thursday 13 November 2014

Bold, Italics and Underlined






The fear of clashing outfits with another person is fearful itself. Everybody wants to be different, and many forcefully underscore and exaggerate their eccentricities to steal the spotlight- I have definitely been guilty of doing this myself sometimes. I'm not at all saying that it is a bad thing to be different and experimental with your style. In fact, I embrace that. But why has this desire to be seen as an individual morphed into something that can be competed for? 

There's an ongoing seek to be different for the sake of being different by forming our identities through what is materialistic. As kids, we want the latest gadgets and the newest version of Barbie which becomes our badge for being cool. It isn't so different now that we've grown up, only except that we are now the dolls we once used to play dress ups with. 

But the seek to be seen as an individual just for the sake of standing out by defining yourself through tangible goods is limiting- you don't become known for your wittiness, intelligence, creativity, humour- you become known for something that gets thrown into the washing machine at the end of the day. There is no prize for being different unless there's a purpose to be different. 

Yes, what I wear can be empowering and boosts my confidence. I can rock a hot pink mini skirt with rose prints with killer leather heels and feel feminine looking without being too girly to suit the mindset I'm in. But I don't want my outfits to be a distraction, nor do I want them to form my identity. I want to be able to be the wearer of dresses rather than being a stiff mannequin modelling that dress. 

I don't see fashion as a means of forming a self-identity, but as a form of self expression. To me, fashion creates a bridge between what I'm feeling and thinking with my physical appearance. I wear clothes that sums me up rather than adds to me. 



Sportsgirl Hat
Asos Bomber Jacket
Forever New Silk Blouse
Minkpink rose-print skirt (amended)
Siren Shoes

No comments:

Post a Comment